Sunday, July 24, 2011

"Value in presentation"

I see this over, over, and over again.  Many (If not all) roofing contractors despise paperwork, because it is so time consuming.  In many cases it is almost foreign to them, so a minimal effort, or emphasis is placed upon it.  That is normally a precursor what to expect of them when you enter into contract.  You will be begging for submittals, MSDS, permit, insurance, etc., and you that have been in the discipline for any length of time will agree.

It's pretty easy to secure a contract, but how are you going to fulfill all the paperwork (AIA billing, schedule of values, etc.) that absolutely must be done in a timely manner.

Very few know how to write a professional proposal, much less a detailed report, with detailed remedy.  You are literally asking someone to entrust hundreds of thousands of dollars to you for a 1 page FAX.  And boy, do I hate faxes.  It is a sign of laziness, and if the company isn't advanced enough to scan documents, and transmit them electronically, then I don't think you should view this as a positive sign.

This is where owners are torn between "Cheap" Vs. "Professional".  It is a simple matter of mathematics really, or is it?  If you have not properly vetted the contractor or consultant, you may get EXACTLY what you pay for.  In the end, job delay, poor performance, endless change order requests, paperwork holdups, and a bad experience in general is what comes with "Cheap".  I may type that word, but it never crosses my lips.  Please realize it takes money to operate as a "Professional", but that is the last thing you should try to scrimp on.  Fire the employee with no drivers license, or skill, first.  But don't think your client is stupid and lazy, because they aren't.

I am of the opinion (rarely do I offer opinion, but in the absence of data, must rely on it in this case) that assuming your estimator has done an accurate takeoff with area, lineage, object count, and general conditions, you must now present his findings to the client.  You've already invested substantial time and money into that portion, so are you prepared to take it to the end?  Or will you depend upon dumb luck?

If you are simply faxing a one page quote, I will tell you the future does not look bright for you.  It makes you look very ordinary, and that is not a good idea unless your firm is named "Very Ordinary Roofing, Inc.".

I swear I saw a truck last week that was named "Above Average Roofing".  I thought about it for a second, and  said "I respect this guy".  He tells it like it is, and states it right there for you.  I loved it, because he  cut to the chase.

It is not remotely unusual for me to take three days to write a nice roof report, and work order for the Chief Superintendent.  Invest that time up front, hire someone to do it, but make sure it is done.  There is a very fine line between achievement, and failure in the roofing discipline.  My advice is for you to do the extra work whether you find it valuable or not.

You are simply defining how you wish to be perceived by your current, or prospective client.  Cliche' time:  "You only get one chance to make a first impression".

Of course the answer to our last poll was TPO.

I am appreciative of the time you spend here, and humbled you care what I have to share.  Reject negativity in all forms, and always remember, my dear friends, to always keep looking "UP".

Respect,

Robert R. "Ron" Solomon
CCC1325620
RobertRSolomon@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment