Welcome Good People;
Today's topic is rather basic, but extraordinarily important.
Clients getting BAD INFORMATION regarding Solar.
Posting false information like this is both unscrupulous, and uneducated. First, let's analyze these comments;
"Material of Roofing:
Many people wonder whether solar panels hurt their roof? Fortunately, most roofing materials can accommodate a solar panel installation without harming the roof itself. First, let’s focus on the most common roofing material — ASPHALT SHINGLES, also called composite roofing.
ASPHALT ROOFING works great for solar panels and involves a simple installation process. Tile roofs are also highly compatible with solar panels and make them easy to install. The roof type that is most compatible with solar panels is a standing metal roof. The standing seam allows for easier and cheaper installation without drilling into the roof."
Asphalt shingles elevate heat, and retain it well into the evening. Easily reaching 180 degrees F., creating an energy burden of 20%. The solar panel is MAXIMUM 20% efficient.
-20% BURDEN due to asphalt heat gain.
+20% SOLAR PRODUCTION , much less at the outlet.
With asphalt shingles, you are 20% in the red before you even consider solar collection devices.
I am proposing that we apply synthetic membranes like we do on large low slope commercial projects.
This prototype was created to illustrate how synthetic membranes (commercial grade) in the shape of shingles, installed over a high quality synthetic underlayment (SharkSkin for example).
You cannot place a concentrated energy form (asphalt) in the sun and not expect it to get hot.
I've written another post called "Stop Paving Our Roofs".
I've worked with both Dr. Art Rosenfeld, and Dr. Ronnen Levinson, Director LBNL "Heat Island Group". After shipping the prototype to them, we had a talk. Dr. Art said: "So Ron, it's just that simple"? Dr. Levinson said, "Ron, you have a beautiful model here, but it just seems too good to be true".
Both of them are correct.
If anyone thinks what I say has merit, I will share testing parameters.
SYNTHETIC SHINGLE SYSTEM BENEFITS:
· Extremely high initial SRI over 80.
· Extremely low radiant energy retention which translates into a surface heat reduction by up to 80 degrees F.
· NO OIL in finished form.
· Exceptional resistance to solar UV, ozone, and oxidation, thereby maintaining a “like new” appearance and structural integrity for the life of the product.
· Chlorine free.
· Plasticizer free.
· Provides CLEAN STORM WATER RUNOFF which does not inhibit microbial growth, vegetation, or affect wildlife.
· Outstanding puncture and tear resistance.
· LEED COMPLIANT. Satisfies Heat Island Effect by over 200%, 100% recyclable.
· Highly fungal resistant.
· VOC free.
· Synthetic self adhering system provides outstanding secondary water barrier (self adhering titanium).
· Dual attachment methods greatly increase wind resistance.
· May be offered at economical price point upon mass marketing, compared to existing products with few of the above benefits.
· Lightweight at approximately 100 lbs. per 100 sq. ft.
· Reduction of soft tissue injuries due to much lower weight.
· Titanium underlayment is 20X stronger than asphalt felt, and may be left exposed for an extended period of time if necessary.
· Quicker installation to reduce labor costs.
· Comes in a range of colors, textures and shapes.
All sheet metal flashings would be prefinished Kynar 500 to eliminate maintenance.
I came up with this idea in 2008, and entered it into "Sustainable Florida" initiative. it placed 2nd. to Multi-Billion dollar energy provider, Progress Energy. In this case, 2nd. was good enough for one man on a budget of $0.00.
Ideally, would like a material manufacturer, government entity, or investor to take it from here. Simply put, my limited physical ability does not allow me to pursue it further. If anyone sees the value in what I'm saying, please contact me.
"Syngle" eliminates all the drawbacks of asphalt shingle roofing, and at a price comparable to common asphalt shingles.
I'd like to thank the good people at:
My philosophy is about SAVING energy, and someone else can focus on CREATING energy. Without one, you cannot have the other.
Reject negativity in all forms, and always remember to keep looking "UP".