Sunday, July 31, 2011

"Unlicensed Contracting, and Dangers Within"

Many colleagues have been writing to me about this topic, and I will attempt to break it down for you, the consumer.

At the onset, let me tell you my state is without doubt, the most stringent licensing bureau in the United States, as it pertains to "State Certified Roofing Contractor" status.  The CCC1325620 you see after my name in each post is in fact my state certification number.  This license number, and all information about it's current status are available to the public online.

Now, for this, I've invested 16 weeks of specific financial training, product knowledge, and several thousand dollars preparing for my exam.  This is in addition to my 37 years of service within my discipline at the highest level.  70% of first time applicants fail the two day testing procedure.  I am fortunate to not be among that group, and I know many contractors who've taken the test three times before finally passing it.  But good for them, as they wanted the highest certification possible, and I know what they went through mentally, and financially to achieve "State Certification".

This accreditation is acknowledged by most other states in the Republic, and I enjoy reciprocity in permitting jurisdictions within those states.  Some states do not require roofers to have state licensing, which is why you should do your homework before enlisting them on a project.

Okay, that's the purpose, and now we'll get to the problem.  UNLICENSED CONTRACTOR  ACTIVITY.  Our permitting jurisdictions are understaffed due to budgetary restrictions, and unlicensed activity is not properly policed due to sheer volume.


"Why should I care Ron?, I just saved $500.00 on my house with a guy that did it on the weekend, and it turned out good too".  Well let me describe something that will not "turn out good" in the event you are caught, or if someone gets hurt.  Odds are the unlicensed contractor has no insurance (there's the $500.00 you saved), and when someone gets hurt, it falls directly upon the homeowner.

Now, YOUR homeowner's insurance will become involved, and it will be exactly like you imagine it will be, MESSY.  You will explain to them why you hired an unlicensed contractor, and the "I didn't know he was unlicensed" answer will not fly.

Let us explore a more stark version, and say (God forbid) someone on his crew got seriously hurt (very easy to do).  He has no insurance, so who is on the hook?  Of course the answer is "YOU are".  Now you are open to court proceedings, responsible for his medical bills, and anything else his atorney wishes to tack on.

Unlicensed contractors are not approved by any material manufacturers, so you will certainly not receive any manufacturer's warranty, so don't expect it.  Typically, the unlicensed contractor will ask for either 50% up front, and in some cases, 100%.  NEVER pay a roofing contractor up front for anything.

Last weekend, here in Hillsborough County Florida, they conducted a "sweep" of illegal contractors and over 80 were arrested, on ONE weekend!  I forgot to mention they were also featured on the 6:00 news, and boy was it ugly.  I'm trying to present issues to you that occur in the "Real World", and not hypotheticals.

That $500.00 sure seems insignificant now doesn't it?  A friend of mine hired a subcontractor on his commercial job.  The subcontractor uttered a fake certificate of insurance to him, and had a man hurt on the job.  That error cost him $107,000.00 CASH.  Always call the insurance company and ask about the validity of the insurance certificate, as they are very easy to forge, and often are.

Where did he buy the roofing material?  If you do not receive a "Lien Release" from his supplier, and he does not pay them, guess who that falls on?  You of course, and paying twice for a roof may not be very palatable.

Unless you are, in fact, Kenny Rogers "The Gambler", I would not suggest you bet your property and livelihood on a $500.00 pot.

It is my wish to be at least marginally informative regarding this topic, and hopefully I've convinced you not to play with fire.



Thank you for taking the time to visit with me here, and I am appreciative you care what I have to say.  Reject negativity in all forms, and remember to always keep looking "UP".

Respect,

Robert R. "Ron" Solomon
CCC1325620
RobertRSolomon@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment