Tuesday, November 2, 2010

"Sustainable Schools"

Today is election day, and I'm unable to take the time for a complete post. But, tomorrow we'll be discussing energy "Saved", instead of "Energy Created".

Thank you to Annie. Annie is in Australia, and moving to the United States (Texas), and renovating a home with many well thought out sustainability features, including roofing.

The theme will sort of be about tripping over dollars to pick up nickels. I have a couple of examples I've seen, that will put a very pensive look on your face. One reason you might find it interesting, is that you're paying for it.

But I did have an article come out in West Coast Roofing Contractors Association this month, and hopefully you will find it interesting:

Florida “Sustainable Schools”
By: “Ron” Robert R. Solomon

Dear Friends and Colleagues:


Each year, The Collins Center in Tallahassee receives nominations for the
Governor’s “Sustainable Florida” and “Sustainable Schools” programs. These
nominations and sustainability efforts represent the most prestigious
environmental awards in the state. Though retired, I consider it my civic
responsibility to represent (independently) our skill discipline on issues of
immediate and long term need. I’m probably as “Old School” as just about
anyone, but given half a chance will choose a roof system that is
multidimensional (up front and life cycle cost, clean water, and energy
reduction) every time. Sometime, I even think about keeping water out of the
building while I’m at it.

Nominees include USGBC, State Agricultural Commission, SWFTMD, Wal-Mart,
and many representatives of local and state government throughout Florida.
I’ve been very fortunate to be named a judge several times, and evaluate the applications and place a numerical value which I submit to Tallahassee,
winners are chosen, and a very nice awards presentation follows.
This isn’t just a bunch of backslapping, elitist, corporate types, as it is open to all
people and judged without prejudice. That’s actually the hard part, because
one moment I see a huge Everglades restoration project, and the next is a
lady who is emphatic about using a clothes line. I review many fascinating
applications and initiatives, with some very small, and others vast in scope,
but each passionate regardless of scale.

Along with the application, there are many attachments and photos which
further illustrate the effort, and provide a more personal aspect. I’m sharing
these topics with you today because our discipline is interfaced with many
sustainable circuits. What in the world does that mean Ron? It means the
roof, HVAC, windows, etc. must work in concert for the structure to perform
as designed. I consider the roof to be the singular most important component
of any structure, yet the last to be addressed. Everyone likes nice landscaping
and paint, but since they can’t see the roof, it doesn’t exist. I’m trying to
inform as many decision makers as I can to change that.

Okay, let me step off my soap box and get to the schools. School districts,
schools, teachers, and students, all compete in several categories, and are
judged accordingly. Many of the projects were accomplished without
funding, and in many cases, generated revenue for the school. Some were
heavily funded (in one case $80,000.00), but were considered to be useful to
a broader audience (a solar car from Key West is an example).
If any of you have children (K-12) who participate, or would like to participate, I’d be
proud to nominate them for next year’s competition. Winners receive a
check for $1,500.00, a plaque, and a proclamation signed by the Governor
(Sink or Scott?). But it’s the “achievement” they seem to covet most, and I
find that uplifting.

I’d be more than happy to forward a complete list if anyone would like to see
your children’s respective schools, or school district. These kids get out in
the dirt, clean waterways, plant and harvest, collect tons of recyclable
debris, and work harder than many adults I know. Below is a link for anyone
who values the “hands on” involvement of children in actual environmental
settings. Believe me, it’s very personal when I have to review a class of
kindergartners with disabilities, and be objective. I know this sounds corny,
but each of them are champions, whom I consider benefactors of society.
You have wonderful children, doing great things, and you should be proud of
them. I am.

We all know how tough things are, and money is tight, but if you can spare a
couple of bucks for these kids, it will be put to good use.
Sustainable Florida:
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/secretary/ed/schools/judging.htm
In closing, I will share that it would be my privilege to help any of you with
sustainability as it pertains to roofing, energy, and clean water. This is what I do each day, of my own volition. Please understand I respect each and
every member of the WCRCA, do not promote one manufacturer over
another, or participate in anything that would preclude anyone from fair
competition.

You are welcome to contact me at: RobertRSolomon@aol.com for additional
information, and I’ll be happy to help.
Note: If you are planning a roofing project within 100 miles of Tampa, you would find very qualified contractors within the WCRCA. If you want to request them through me, I'll be sure to put together a list of qualified contractors I know personally, and have found to be very good people.

Today is a good day to keep looking "UP"

Be good,

Robert R. Ron" Solomon

No comments:

Post a Comment