Thursday, March 10, 2011

"Pre-Manufactured, Pre-Finished Metal Flashings"

I was talking to a few people about "value engineering" and the topic of pre-manufactured metals came up.  Normally, one of the first items roofers "cheapen" when trying to save a little money.  But, I am of the opinion that "cheapening" the effort, cheapens the contractor, and introduces great liability which is unnecessary. 

Okay, right there is where I lost a few of you.

Today (because of space), I will illustrate a very well known manufacturer of pre-manufactured metals, whom I've had much experience with.  All good by the way, and I can't say that about many companies.  Metal-Era fights fair, and if you've been following this blog, know I despise "Proprietary Specifications".

Much respect to them for being honest.  I cannot be more complimentary of their professional demeanor, or professional services.  Alright, now that I've done the "Pitch", I'll get into the body of this post.

I've seen hundreds of projects where the architect (or roofer) attempts to cut corners.  Folks, this NEVER works out well. Why Ron?  Because when a roofer installs a metal flashing made of mill phosphatized (paint grip) steel (normally 22ga.), the painter usually paints the exposed metal to match the building.  Great, but in 37 years, I have never seen them paint the back of the metal that is unseen from the ground.

So now you've essentially got bare steel for the back of the steel, and the flange onto the roof.  "Paint Grip" basically means the steel has been "etched" with an acidic wash so the paint will stick to it.  But when left exposed, it will prematurely rust, and here comes the problem.  And right at the place where you would find standing water.

The roofer is long gone, and the owner has a structure with a failed perimeter.  The roofing material manufacturer who issued the warranty isn't responsible (no manufacturer includes bare metals in their warranty), and there you stand on the roof where the "finger pointing" begins.  I will point out the astronomical cost of removing the failed metal, installing a new system, and incorporating it into the relatively new roof system.  Probably to the tune of $50.00 per foot, and I've done it many times, at or around that rate.  This is where many roofers will say "I can do it for $10.00 a ft., or , no way, I need $100.00 a ft.", but I'm only sharing my experience.  It really does just depend upon how you look at it.  Regardless, it's a lot of coin.

Okay, you're facing that problem, and now I'll bring up another topic that will be placed directly on your shoulders:  "Wind Uplift".  Pre-Manufactured metals have all necessary code, wind testing, and approvals in place.  To me, this alleviates a lot of "hand wringing", and sleepless nights.  I will not get into trhe minutia of ASHRAE codes here.  You may visit them here:  http://www.ashrae.org/

You absoluttely do not want to "cheapen" any flashings, be it metal, bituminous, or single ply.  NEVER.  Liability should be your number one priority in every phase of the system component assembly.

"Aw, man, I can make that stuff just as good as them", well, No, you can't, unless you have all necessary testing for every single metal flashing you're fabricating, and installing, and you don't.  Look, I prefer pre-manufactured, but you should never install a metal component that does not have a Hylar, or Kynar 500 finish.  This is a non-maintenance item, and represents great value.  The owner will thank you when he sees the building next door with paint peeling from the metal, and that's really what we're trying to do:  Following best roofing practices, to protect ourselves, and the owners.  You want every component to be as maintenance free as possible.

This is a coping option: (Courtesy of Metal-Era):




And this is a perimeter edge (gravelstop, or drip edge):
(Courtesy of Metal-Era)



This is a very rudimentary introduction to pre-finished, and pre-manufactured metal systems, but to really see a complete product lineup, please visit them at:  http://www.metalera.com/  It is critical to know that some of their assemblies are guaranteed to 170 mph, which is astounding.  Let me not get carried away with information overload.

Everyone knows that I do not single out one manufacturer over another, but Metal-Era is a starting point, and one that deserves serious consideration.

As always, I am thankful you are visiting with me today, and am humbled you spend your valuable time here.  Reject negativity in all forms, and keep looking "UP".

Much Respect,

Robert R. "Ron" Solomon
CCC1325620
RobertRSolomon@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment