Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"Uninformed Contractors & Consultants"

This is an example of an uninformed contractor, pretending to know something about "Sustainability", and quite frankly was disturbed by his comments, as if this was a great accomplishment, when quite the opposite was true.

"We reroofed a school this summer in South Florida, 80,000 sf. Original roof was BUR asphalt and gravel. Replaced this with Soprema's Soprastar, torch applied modified bitumen. This cap sheet has the highest Solar Reflectance after three years than other modified cap sheets, granular or coated. It's the aged SRI that's important, because what good is a white roof that turns tobacco stained. But anyway, this school is identical to another school in the same county. Both of these schools are cooled by 2 chillers. The newly reroofed school has only had to turn on one chiller since the reroof. The other school has had to use 2 chillers. We also gave the School District over $32,000.00 in rebate from FPL after the reroof.

So, the effects on the HVAC system are substantial, at least in the beginning. The big question is will it remain white? Will the owner see the advantage / importance of having a maintenance program on his new roof, so he can keep reaping the benefits?"

My reply:

You didn't do anyone any favors with your "Soprastar". There is no rational explanation for approving such an expenditure. None. Tell us about all that petroleum we consumed on a product without 3 year testing.

Miami-Dade says it was only approved 06/10/09, so there is no 3 year testing as far as they're concerned.

CRRC says this:
Soprastar Bright White Modified Bitumen: Initial SRI 0.78 Projected 3 year SRI 0.66

The .78 barely hits an acceptable reflectivity of, you guessed it .78 (page 95 LEED V2.2.). The .66 is three year aging (real or projected). A white TPO far surpasses that dismal performance.

For a school district no less. How much of a premium for NO additional benefit do you think you caused the taxpayers in that county? Did that even cross your mind?

I know you are happy to get an energy "Rebate" of $32,000.00 for them, but that money isn't free. The taxpayers ate that, AND the HUGE upcharge. I'll bet the "Soprastar" easily cancelled out the rebate. Easily.

Seriously, you could have given them an .080 TPO, 30 year NDL instead of using a "Boutique" manufacturer like Soprema, for LESS MONEY!!. Let me guess, they also listed "Siplast". You rarely see one without the other.

I get so tired of watching this scenario play out in our schools. No private owner would ever consider a huge cost increase like that. They don't do it because it doesn't make sense. Some consultant or salesman was responsible for that, and I'd really like them to explain why, but that won't happen.

I am very curious how you plan to "maintain" the magical "flakes" on Soprastar.

Also curious about the wind speed warranty you gave the school district. Let me guess, 54 mph?

I'm glad you got a job, but at what cost?

You want to see how our schools are getting ripped off by roofing material salesmen? Just check here http://schoolroofingscam.blogspot.com/ , and it's in black and white. I know you paid a lot more for the material than you would have paid from a manufacturer that competes fairly. GAF, Johns-Manville, Firestone?

Thanks for telling us about Soprema's super great product. I'm holding my tongue, because I know the exact scenario, and I despise it. Now you've piqued my curiosity, and I'll do a little more research and report back.

DIRECTLY FROM SOPREMA'S PUBLISHED DATA SHEET

Initial :

Solar Reflectance 0.78 Weathered:Pending
Thermal Emittance 0.89 Weathered:Pending

The "flakes" will create an irregular surface, and trap even more contaminant, and I have no idea how you restore reflectivity to a modified, as they are new to the market.

At least you can easily clean a TPO.

Please tell us how much you paid for the smooth modified per roll, and the Soprastar per roll, and I think this conversation will be over.

Now, I know that may seem a bit confrontational, but in here, I give you substantiated facts, not idle chatter. These are the misconceptions I face each day, because a great number of consultants will say, or do, anything for a dollar, and it's that simple.

If you think for one moment, a consultant cares about a taxpayer, you are sadly mistaken. I just think they don't care, and maybe I'm asking too much of them. Most roof consultants are failed roofing contractors. They couldn't run their own company, yet are intelligent enough to tell others how to do it.

Forgive my rather elevated tone today, but it really aggravates me that our government, and schools in particular, allow this horrific "Sales Model" to be perpetuated.

I'm trying my bloody best to restore honor and integrity into my chosen discipline, but it's like facing a 300' tidal wave. I am absolutely overwhelmed by what has become almost a vertical climb, and I'm ashamed.

Perhaps tomorrow will be the day things change? But after saying that to myself for 8 years, am beginning to lose hope. It doesn't make me less enthusiastic, but my skin is not made of titanium, and sometime it gets to me. Regardless, I don't get paid for ripping off school districts, and I hope by now, you know I am deeply committed to you, the TAXPAYER.

The sun will shine tomorrow, and of that, I am certain.

Alright my friends, I am thankful for the time you spend here, and remember to ALWAYS keep looking "UP".

Respectfully,

Robert R. "Ron" Solomon
CCC1325620


No comments:

Post a Comment